2010/11/21

Can my landlord prevent us from having pets when my neighbors do?


Question by : Can my landlord prevent us from having pets when my neighbors do?
Our management company took over this property about a year ago and we moved in shortly after. They stated no pets, yet 3 of our neighbors who lived here before our landlord took over have pets. Is there any law preventing them from discrimanting against us? If so please let me know.


Best answer:

Answer by JenniferinNY
You moved in after the rule kicked in, your neighbors are grandfathered in under the old rule probably for as long as their rent agreement is for.
They aren't discriminating against you. You knew the rules, you signed the renter's agreement signifying you agreed with the rules. Any new renters they get will probably not be allowed to have pets either.
If you knew you wanted pets, you should have gotten a pet-friendly apartment in the first place.
You will either lose your pet if you decide to get one, or your apartment for breaking your lease agreement.
Your neighbor's won't, because the lease they signed with the previous owner allowed them to have pets.
It's not discrimination.



Give your answer to this question below!

Orignal From: Can my landlord prevent us from having pets when my neighbors do?

No comments:

Post a Comment

bluehost